• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
16bit Sensation: Another Layer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

I really think it overcomplicated itself towards the end. Despite early on feeling like it knew some of the mechanics of making the games in a grounded way, it really feels like it ran out of that about when it started to make Konoha's dream project in the 90s. It really wanted to say that a game was amazing, but I don't really think it had an smart way to express it, despite the powers of foresight to gaming history. Instead it created a villainous what if scenario of if one bishoujo game did really well in Japan than apparently the whole Bishoujo genre would be taken over by America, be made not cute, and apparently be dystopian. In these cases it really did feel like it needed to make a bad guy and just decided America.

Maybe there was more explainable reasons why the story makers think the way they do about the what if, but apparently that was less important than people put into pods. There are even possibly interesting arguments in the topic of differences in styles between bishoujo for what makes it unique compared to apparently the more western style that was apparently bad in the hypothetical timeline. But whatever that was it looked mostly uninterested in doing that outside of what turned out to be sight gags.

If I was to be real, I think the show really wanted to do something about the value of bisoujo and maybe being able to use limited mechanics to do so, but I think it really failed at that. It just assumes you already have some attachment, doesn't quite have something to say about a particular period or nature of the genre. If really was to look for something, maybe I could say something about Konoha's dislike of originally making milfs in a game and the fact it was just a maid cafe at the end, which I probably connect it to the bad future having Western designs. Wester designs compared to Japanese often looking more mature, so some sort of weird value Bishoujo games having more useful appearance, like Konoha herself?

Comments on Crunchyroll seem positive, but I otherwise don't see the value other than a nebulous "creativity is good". Even though that whole creativity is good is kind of BS, as if memory serves Konoha's game really was her just ripping off a bunch of other stuff she was familiar of without really understanding it all. It is just weird. My rating will be So-so (6/10), mostly because despite everything I have said, it at least didn't look as bad in terms of animation and stuff.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:24 am Reply with quote
I am going to be honest and admit that I dropped this one. As you have said, the show seemed to have a strong concept early on. Making your dream game, time travel, showing off development tools of old and putting the Bishoujo genre in the spotlight while getting people to learn more about what makes it special.

All that was there at first....yet later on we got evil time villain, aliens, putting people into pods like the matrix. It seems like the series forgot the concept it started with and devolved into something uninteresting and random.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2