• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:08 am Reply with quote
This was foreshadowed when Eren, the one who had the Attack Titan before Grisha, mentioned needing to save Mikasa and Armin, right? Since then it kind of looked like some sort of time travel thing was going to turn out to be in effect.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
My big question: will Annie EVER have a subsequent role to fill or is she just an old plot thread whose existence is noted once in a blue moon?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:03 pm Reply with quote

Most of the episode is occupied by one character's backstory. But that backstory is so crucial in determining why events towards the end happen. The creation tale given by Marley was clearly fabricated, but the truth of the matter isn't much better either. A combination of tyranny, slavery, oppression and random chance gave one tribe the power to dominate its otherwise technologically equivalent rivals and create the first empire, only for an assassination attempt gone awry to derail the best-laid plans before they could be brought to fruition. After that, the recipient of random chance was doomed to toil for eternity on a task which is later revealed she never asked nor wished for.

Although we know what Eren is like after last episode and the preceding developments from the Marley arc onwards, it turns out his goal was so much simpler than made out to be (and entirely like Eren). Typically of Eren, his solution is as simplistic as it is brutal. If others are going to kill the Islanders and every one of his race, then they should have no complaints if they're annihilated in turn as self-defence. That way, the Eldians have a future, albeit one paved on the bones and flesh of everyone else on the planet.

There's not much to be learned from in the episode trailer. Eren is marching off with the Wall Titans (such irony regarding the names of the walls themselves and their relation to the character's memory) but Zeke's Titans are still running amok and Eren's Scout brethren have to clean them up.

I'm hoping Mikasa's difficulty in hearing is due to the loud noise made by marauding Wall Titans rather than any damage to the eardrums. Armin is still ok, but no matter how strong his Titan form is there's no way he can stop Eren on his own even if he objects to world genocide.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:21 pm Reply with quote
80:

Yeah, the story of Ymir doesn't surprise me that much. I had a hunch that it would be something like that: Ymir was a slave controlled by someone else, even when she has attained godly powers, and this history is carried over to the present. If you have some knowledge in history, you would know that slavery is always a fundamental part of human history (or in fact, the human psyche). You can argue why Ymir didn't just rebel against her king since she literally could, but to say that means you don't understand the basis of slavery.

It may also seem outrageous to see that Ymir was literally chopped up and eaten by other people ("CANNIBALS!"). But you should know that human has done some incredibly vile things before, so if anything, AoT in itself is a critical satire of human depravity. A (biblical?) story of slavery, revenge, oppression and more, all rolled into one.

As a side comment, I'm missing the action aspect of the show a little even if I know the storytelling is giving the show the overall perspective it needed all along.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:43 am Reply with quote
I have kept trying to look that Eren can't have fallen so villainously down, but following this big thing he just started, and our heroes now having to turn against his titan army, has kind of made me think/hope that it is his plan. Maybe he wants to be cast down as the villain, so those that stop him now that he is a super mega titan. Or he really is that kill them all mentality. I was thinking that it would be revealed that each of the children would be one of the transforming titans, but we learned that there was just 3, and happen to be the names of the walls, which kind of feels more insidious.

Also looked like the real power of the royal family was slavery, that Ymir would see them as the family of her master, and thus be a slave to them, nothing real there about freedom. Eren pretty much told her that she doesn't need to hold back and respect people who keep treating her like a tool, the royal blood. Which also feels relevant to what he said earlier to Mikasa, if her perhaps recognised that she was under the influence of something similarly slave like. He kind of made himself there to be looking down on Mikasa, but at least in this episode I don't think he was looking down on Ymir.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:45 am Reply with quote
81:

Frankly, the episode only caught my attention when Annie was finally awoken. It genuinely piqued my interest for a second what Armin was insinuating when he learned that Eren can undo the armor. Now we know.

She was one of the loose ends stretching way back in season 1. Good thing the show hasn't forgotten it (not I like expected it to).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:23 am Reply with quote
In retrospect it seems kinda weird that they could instantly recognize Pixis (::salutes:: ), but never Annie, until other things made them suspect her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:47 am Reply with quote
My post from episode 80:

Blood- wrote:
My big question: will Annie EVER have a subsequent role to fill or is she just an old plot thread whose existence is noted once in a blue moon?

I'm glad the show's writers read this htread and act on the posts. Wink

I@ Gina - I could be wrong since it's been so long since I've seen the episodes in question, but I think back in those days, the Scouts weren't as aware of the possibility that some of their members could be secret agent titans.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:17 am Reply with quote
What has happened to Zeke? He's not dead, but his stay in purgatory has been so prolonged that he has no control over his thralls. That's one question they'll have to put on the backburner, since the surviving soldiers have a lot on their plate at present.

Commander Pyxis is a huge loss for the survivors, since they really could use his leadership in these unusual times. They have other leaders, but Pyxis had more experience and capability than just about everyone else not part of the military. Armin and Jean will need to handle matters while the survivors get their breather with Eren marching everything off towards worldwide genocide.

There was a bit of foreshadowing this episode, since Mr. Leonhart (Annie's father) was shown again for the first time since the first half of the Marley arc. He has his wish: his daughter is still alive. However, she has quite a few things in her in-tray after long hibernation and may or may not be spared to return to Marley, or what's left of it.

I'm guessing the animators need another episode with more dialogue, since the last few weeks bar the flashback have been so packed with action that the workers need a break with something simple.

I'm not entirely sure what Jean meant when he said Historia had to be sacrificed. Did he refer to her "convalescence" where she's expecting? She had a curious expression on her face when Eren made his quick speech, almost as if she expected this would happen but didn't or couldn't stop him by talking him out of it. Not sure if this will be answered before the series is out, since there's so much to cover now that the end-game is well and truly in full swing.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:14 pm Reply with quote

It might have slipped the minds of most of the audience, but undoing the walls means lots of debris falling to the ground. Since houses are built right up to the shadow of the Walls, guess what happens. Eren can't control living skyscrapers with finesse, so any line they take will destroy anything underfoot. Is the price paid worth the result? We're going to find out, since everyone else is still alive and the doomsday weapon hasn't reached its destination yet.

Annie doesn't have much of a backstory, but she was telling the truth way back in Season 1 regarding her skill at unarmed combat. It was the only truth she told though, but now she's heading somewhere with Hitch. Her goal is simple: go home to her father. That might not be possible anymore, but not for the expected reason.

Armin claims he was the wrong person to bring back. The way I see it, he's definitely the right person but doesn't have the confidence that Erwin had. He's also not as reckless and prone to all-out gambles as the previous Commander, so that's another point in his favour. The stress he's under is insane, but he's still doing what he can for everyone's sake.

I've never liked Floch, since he's always been opposed to the main cast and strikes me as motivated completely by self-interest and personal benefit. I'm wondering why Eren trusted him with this plan, or if he's even telling the truth. He's got the devil's luck though, since this is twice in the series where he's survived situations which would have killed anyone else without his good fortune. How far that luck will take him is something to watch.

Although it's not a surprise seeing Hange and Levi again, I'm wondering what on earth is keeping Levi alive despite his injuries. He's not going to fight again any time soon, although the outside possibility exists where the Cart somehow impart her regenerative abilities to bring him back to normal (whatever that might be). Hange has always been a fantastic negotiator, but her next trick is going to be the hardest by far as she has very little material to work with.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
81:

Guess who's back, back again, Annie's back, tell a friend--

I will admit, it's a little convenient that Annie has been listening to Hitch while in hibernation this whole time. She's been in there since what, the end of season 1, and a shit ton of stuff has happened so I imagined that it would take ages to bring her up to speed on everything that has transpired. Technically, by reporting every update to Annie, Hitch has betrayed Paradis Island in terms of interest, but since the empire is in rubbles, I guess that doesn't mean much anymore now.

And of course Hange and Levi are alive. Why would anyone think they're dead? There's gonna be hell to pay for what Floch is doing, and they're the ones coming for him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:28 am Reply with quote
My speculation is that somehow Armin and Misaka are going to convince Eren to call off the rumbling before the rest of the world is destroyed. There have been a very tiny handful of series that ended utterly nihilistically (spoiler[Gilgamesh,] I'm looking at you) but I don't think this will be one of them.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:27 am Reply with quote

Armin's tactic for getting Conny to stop the cannibalism scheme was simple but effective. I was wrong; Armin is just as likely to gamble as his predecessor was if the circumstances call for it. This time the cards fell the right way, but if Armin had been eaten Eren's plan would have definitely succeeded.

Viewers know Annie had to meet up with Armin and the others somehow, turns out blind luck is a convenient Deus Ex Machina. It didn't take long for her to agree to his request, although Conny's laughter at her appearance felt a little surreal given the circumstances.

They're going to have to fill us in onto exactly how Armin convinced Jean to go along with all this. If the timeline is right, they had exactly half a day between the intended execution and the chance encounter between Armin's group and Annie to get the word out. Not only that, they must have discovered Hange and her group during that interval. Perhaps next week will explain more.

I count Armin's trio, Hange's quartet, Gabi and Falco along with Reiner, Mikasa and Jean's trio in the temporary alliance. Yelena has some answering to do as Pieck has had her singled out since the start of the Marley arc. I don't think they'll want her in their plans going forward, but that might change depending on what information about Zeke's grand plan she can trade.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:18 am Reply with quote
82:

I only have one thing to say:

Pie-faced Annie reminded me of Sasha. That hit me hard.
Phantomio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Heard a good song from Samuel Kim as a crossover between Star Wars and AT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYes5TtD26U
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 105 of 107