• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk of Gluttony (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the production budget took a noticeable hit this week. That said, I thought the wrath/sloth elf was an interesting development. And at least the show is consistent regarding the percentage of holy knights who are complete trash.

Yup. Still don't trust that sword at all. <---Marking my words.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, the village was saved..... after most of the inhabitants were eaten, the houses destroyed and ground burned. Given how the leader and most of its people were I struggle to call it a tragedy though. At least the only decent guy and his daughter stayed alive.

Myne has also joined the adventure, it is clear that she has history with greed, yet, like always, he is only giving the very minimum of information. She seems like a colorful person to be around. Lots of eating, lots of sleeping and using her giant weapon at the most surprising time. The series thankfully has a lot of people to use weapons on, there do not seem to be a lot of decent holy knights for example.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Myne of Wrath and her weapon, Sloth, seem oddly named... at least so far. Myne appears more slothful than her weapon although she clearly can get p.o.'d when moolah she was expecting to earn as a reward goes to somebody else. Fate's weapon is called Greed and it takes half of its user's stat points when levelling up, so I its name make sense. We don't yet know why Sloth is called Sloth. Presumably, it exacts some kind of penalty from its user, too. Anyway, poor Fate. Hottie McHottiestein has no issue with dropping her duds with him around because he's "just a kid." Ouchie.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:58 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing the sloth weapon drains her vitality. It would explain her bouts of narcolepsy.

So our MC has a trait, called Gluttony, but his sin sword is Greed. Does that mean there's a Gluttony weapon out there? And the elf maid was called the maid of Wrath, but her weapon is Sloth.

Way to confuse things with your haphazard naming, writer/editor and/or translator.

So, that means, there are sin weapons of Envy, Lust, Pride, Gluttony and Wrath still out there?
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:13 am Reply with quote
The village in the beginning was a bit confusing. Why was Fate drugged? To offer as a sacrifice for the monsters that they were uninterested in? I guess? It never actually gets much explanation, which is bizarre.

There are traditionally seven deadly sins. Do the weapons and wielders operate from the same "pool", so to speak? Or is there a Greed skill as well as weapon? Or does only one instance of each ever occur- ie, no one else has the Gluttony skill? Are there counterparts: weapons/skills specifically to enforce the divine order (perhaps, to keep with the theme, the Heavenly Virtues)? I don't know, and honestly these questions are currently the most engaging part of the show.

I still hate the gameified systems in the narrative. Cheapens the storytelling tremendously. Bah.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:26 am Reply with quote
I agree with all your questions, but it is not the type of adaption to take the time needed to make things clear to the viewer.

Episode 7 is the perfect example of that rush. The episode has a very solid plot to it and Aaron is a fun character. The idea of invading a decrepit castle full of undead with moody music playing is good too. Yet because all of it is jammed into one episode and rushed to all hell it is not nearly as good of a story as it could have been, though I still consider it to be the best episode thus far.

The show is a fun time, sadly there is not enough time for it to be more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I'm not enjoying this title as much as I was in the beginning. It was never anything amazing for me, but I was getting some kind of nice buzz from the whole Gluttony set up and Fate being targeted by those Douche Triplets and Lady Roxy buzzing around. I didn't care at all about Aaron and the Lich thing. I was hoping by now that we'd start to see the negative impact of Fate's Gluttony skill where his hunger for souls drives him out of control and threatens people he likes or innocent people. I'm sure that's coming but right now we seem to be treading water plot wise.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:29 am Reply with quote
I like how it is clear that the mc despite being relatively op is just a small cog in a really large and old machine. Fate does not know a whole lot about what happened in the past, nor does he know all that much about who is doing what in the shadows right now either. His skills make him stronger at a very fast rate, yet there are plenty of dangers out there that he can not handle alone. One of those unknown groups has clearly marked Roxy for death, maybe even her whole family given how things have gone thus far.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Well now, the last episode is going to be a doozy since so much happened this week that wrapping it all up next week is going to be impossible. Be it keeping Roxy safe, dealing with the loss of his hidden identity, dealing with the dragon attacking, dealing with Nortern also having a deadly sin weapon and spouting weird things, dealing with Eris and whatever her deal is.... that is a bit much for one episode.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I've stuck with this series - it's one of many flawed but reasonably solid anime that I'd give a C+ or something close to it this season - and I think it's done a pretty good job building toward a climax. I like both Roxy and Fate better now than I did at the beginning of the series as they've both got a little more texture.

Hey, what do you think Northern meant by that "half right" answer? Shape shifter, possession, or Northern was never really Northern?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, they did mention the philosopher's stone having the ability of mind control/taking over your body or something like that, so that is one option. It could also be that he has been taken over by his deadly sin weapon.

Speaking of corruption, kudos to Roxy for actually having a few decent non scummy allies for a change.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, the episode was indeed pretty jam packed and the pace was pretty darn fast, but it did not end up feeling like a horrible rush job...though it is close. The dragon and Northern were dealt with, the latter was indeed being controlled by the deadly sin weapon envy who seems to have been the primary mastermind behind the whole killing roxy plot. As for how involved Eris was, they kind of handwaved that whole part and she is now an ally of Fate somehow. Also, it would have been nice if Myne was there for the actual fight, not just the aftermath, though it may have been a test somehow

Fate lost an arm in the fight while getting it back a minute or two later. He seems to want to grow stronger now, yet his Roxy pillar against getting overtaken by his skill seems to have solved the issue, so I do not really know why he ran away from Roxy? Meanwhile Roxy has gone back home? There is also the guy who has lost his mind to the philosopher's stone I suppose.

Anyway, I liked the final episode and the series a fair bit, but the whole thing can be described as messy. Episodes were quite uneven and so was the overall quality. The story is also rather messy in how unclear many parts of it are.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I'm pretty sure the author made up the plot one web installment at a time, and the adaptation was inconsistently animated. As for characterization -everybody is pretty much one basic characteristic or ideal given arms and legs.

I really believe all of that, but I still liked the show well enough to watch a season 2 if it came around. I like the dark fantasy setting even if the world building isn't all that consistent, and I guess I'm rooting for the two sweet kids who are relying on guts and good intentions while surrounded by lying, shameless, traitorous scum bags.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:19 pm Reply with quote
At least we got to meet Greed finally. Too bad we won't see much of the ikemen version of him again even if there ever is another season, which I don't expect. Honestly, not all that much actually happened in 12 episodes. He got his ally, killed a bunch of monsters and upgraded his weapon a lot, came out to Roxy and met a couple other Sinners/Sin bearers. Precious little triumphing over evil happened. So it goes.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:09 am Reply with quote
There's a phenomenon at Christmas services where a children's choir full of cute little kids will come out and sing a song terribly, but it's hard to get too impatient or not extend good will towards them.

That's kind of how I feel about this anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4