• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:34 am Reply with quote
Not sure what that conversation about homunculi needing love as a focus or bond was all about, but if it applies to Angie, she should be golden. And if Baal is the new kid in Belgrieve's growing family, I wonder if these severed bonds can be transplanted, like a branch of a flower?

Which is about as metaphysical as I'm inclined to get on half a cup of coffee.

This show has been a pleasant surprise. It's not one of my faves, but it's been fun to watch every week while avoiding all kinds of potential pitfalls.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:04 pm Reply with quote
It looks like we're setting off on a whole new arc here, sort of. It's interesting that the old mage knows Mr. Hoodie and they seem fairly matched power-wise.

Lol at them passing around the kid at the table like a cat everyone wants to cuddle. And Bel did have a party back in the day. Someone mentioned that he doesn't seem to have aged, but comparing now to then, he clearly has, and not just growing a beard.

Does it bug anyone else that Angie can't button her clothes properly (or else they don't fit her properly so she can't)? That's such a weird character trait/design choice.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:16 am Reply with quote
Angie suddenly has a lot of adopted siblings, she has adopted two on her own, while Belgrieve adopted another one.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:29 am Reply with quote
I have to admit that I like the episodes that focus on pops a tad more than those with Ange. Part of that may be that Ange feels very unbalanced of sorts. She has the strength and speed to be a top adventurer, yet her mental state feels rather wonky at times. Having self doubt in the middle of a fight and panic due to that is not something I would expect from any experienced adventurer. I would like to say that it is due to her being young, but her teammates seem to nullify that argument.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:04 pm Reply with quote
In story, I'd say that's because she's never outgrown seeing herself as Daddy's little girl, and possibly because she's not human and processes emotions differently. But really I think the author just writes her randomly ditsy to make her more moe.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:42 am Reply with quote
Ange's segments definitely aren't as interesting as Belgrieve to me, though I'm unsure how much of that is bias on my part.

I don't think she's really been challenged all that often, honestly. I think her fairly prodigious talents and Belgrieve's tutelage (and again, he seems to punch way above the rank he retired at,) mean that she wasn't really tested until the first demon king fight- and that one, she had known and trusted backup in. Here, not so much. So upon meeting unexpected resistance, she folds as she isn't used to something being near her strength. Though...because its "cuter" that way is definitely not to be ruled out.

Its a very "comfort food" series for me. I don't know that I would call it great, especially when compared to some of the other things coming out this season but it has been consistently good to use to disengage from workday during lunch break. So, I appreciate it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:42 am Reply with quote
Those are all fair reasons, yet I find it hard to accept an adventurer who just gives up mid fight and stops trying to survive. Not to mention that being an adventurer means getting a brush with death sooner or later, no matter how strong you are. Having a sometimes ditsy S class is cute, but it is a bit absurd given the nature of the job.

As for the episode of the week, thing are getting interesting. People are moving out of the village to their next/last adventure and that seems to include pops who has never dealt with the issues of his past. Given how things look I assume that he will try and meet his old party members, one of which is coincidentally in the place Ange is heading to. As for the party invite she received.... not sus at all.
zfunk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Is this a two cour series, it is not likely everything will be wrapped up in an episode or two.

Last edited by zfunk on Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Good question, it feels like another big arc is just starting, though maybe it is a shorter one?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I just checked and Anime Chart says it's a 13 episode season. So, yeah, either it's going to be a short arc, or it's going to be a cliffhanger ending.

(Still p!$$ed off about Idaten Deities Know Only Peace)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well, while episode 12 was a fun time, with pops meeting some of the other characters (his fight could have been a bit longer) and Ange having a rather hard time behaving properly in a noble mansion (seems like a lovely family), it did not feel like a penultimate episode at all.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, while I've no real issue with the episode itself, it doesn't seem to be setting up a fulfilling endpoint for the season. Thats a bit concerning, all told.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing it ends with Ange soaked in the blood of all the castle inhabitants, raising a sword to the sky and howling with a face contorted in demonic rage as she remembers her true heritage.

Either that or a birthday party.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote
Eh, for a final episode I feel let down. 90% of the episode was nobles plotting and being annoying. That can be fun, but not for a final episode. I did like the whole gang meeting up in the end though. Pops has reunited with one of his former party members and were there to be a second season then I am sure that the other two will follow.

As a whole it was an amusing series. It was never amazing, yet stayed solid through the whole season. I did like the sections with pops a fair bit more than those focusing on Ange if I am being honest.

Last edited by smurky turkey on Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. I like the series- it was always pleasant if hardly amazing- but I feel a bit unfulfilled at the end. Primarily by having no satisfying resolution to...basically any of the longer running plot threads. I don't expect all the answers, of course, but having some kind of resolution for something would be nice.

And yes, I've said it before, but I do prefer Bel over Ange as a protagonist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5