• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harukana Receive (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:01 am Reply with quote

Harukana Receive (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, tournament
Themes: beach, ecchi, moe, sports, volleyball

Plot Summary: Haruka is a girl who has a complex about how she is very tall, and Kanata is about to give up beach volleyball because she is too short. With Haruka's height and Kanata's experience, the two girls form a pair to play beach volleyball in Okinawa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was a surprise, fanservice in the episode was not as distracting or uncomfortable as I thought it would be, just looking at the promotional art. And talking about art, I did not see it mentioned in the reviewers comments, but what got my attention was sand, there were particles of sand, likely some CGI, but I thought details like sand particles was really nice. And so far the heroine, Haruka, is also pretty likable in how she is just having fun.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:06 am Reply with quote
The fanservice is not overly blatant, more natural in context, and I guess it's also pretty good - exclusively for people who like tall girls though.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
And Kanata's backstory is revealed. It's pretty bland, but works. She wasn't even talented, just loves beach volleyball, so they made sure to emphasize her poor skills because of her shortness, and ugly-duck looks making a perfect contrast to Haruka's beauty and natural talent this episode.
Makes me wonder why they chose her as a shared protagonist to begin with, if not just to make Haruka look better.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
And Kanata's backstory is revealed. It's pretty bland, but works. She wasn't even talented, just loves beach volleyball, so they made sure to emphasize her poor skills because of her shortness, and ugly-duck looks making a perfect contrast to Haruka's beauty and natural talent this episode.
Makes me wonder why they chose her as a shared protagonist to begin with, if not just to make Haruka look better.

I, don't think you go it. It was not something like poor skills from being short. It was more of a deal of she had bad self esteem and assumed the fact that she had not grown meant she was just a liability to her partner and sabotaged herself. There was nothing about her level of skill, in fact I am going to guess that she might find her smaller and lighter body could allow her to move faster.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
Not really, no, this is the Haruka Show.
And she might be "good" - for a short girl like her. But she is still bad compared to someone who isn't unfit for said sport anyways. Haruka will make up for her shortcomings obviously, and I'm sure she will have a "role" to be useful in their combo, for example like you said, she's gonna be quick on her foot, or more likely be the brains of the team, but that's it.
And given the adaptation's fanservice allocation, they're probably not gonna focus on any positive aspects of Kana anyways. Completely useless and a mistake to have her as a main girl.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
Are you familiar with Haikyuu? The main character in that volleyball anime is a shorty, and their team libero is also short, he is their team's excellent defence. I think that it is a little intitled to just assume a short character in an anime cannot be skilled at a sport.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:19 am Reply with quote
You can be "good" in NBA as a 160cm man, but you will never be really good, you know. Same thing here, and they aren't exactly subtle about it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

New characters, Emily and Claire, were fun additions. They started out as having a foreign aspect to them, but then filled with much more character, especially Claire in being high energy. Quite liking the character art, like in how they change into to emote when shocked and excited, I don't know if I was just noticing it now, but I was enjoying the energy these characters push out with facial expression.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Is Kanata a baka?
Her dramas are a bit nonsensical...
And there's a disconnection about what is said and shown about Narumi? Despite Kanata saying that Narumi is "tall and cool" she was always shown to be the same height and the shy loner girl at school.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
You can be "good" in NBA as a 160cm man, but you will never be really good, you know. Same thing here, and they aren't exactly subtle about it.

But this isn't the NBA. This is high school level club sports. They are supposed to be playing for the love of the game. Moreover this is not a high profile sport such as baseball where a school would be likely attempt to actually recruit players for the school's reputation. Under these circumstances, a short but good player who is willing to work at it can shine.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, she can shine...
But like, shine but still a handicapped player. Of course anime plot armor and Haruka will make up for that, and she will kinda shine, that's how sports anime is, but she's always gonna be that girl who is never a great player, just good at best.
@Panino Manino
Feels to me that part of Kanata's role is to make Haruka look better. Both with her unattractive body, her short stature and even her weak mentality that causes the drama too
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:09 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
The fanservice is not overly blatant, more natural in context, and I guess it's also pretty good - exclusively for people who like tall girls though.

He is more explicit in the original manga, especially when it comes to teasing homoerotism and clearly aware of (?) this girls. But, it looks like the studio is trying to make it more restrained. For example, they have already deleted the most yuri-ish scene from the first volume.

Alan45 wrote:
Sunny milk wrote:

But this isn't the NBA. This is high school level club sports. They are supposed to be playing for the love of the game. Moreover this is not a high profile sport such as baseball where a school would be likely attempt to actually recruit players for the school's reputation. Under these circumstances, a short but good player who is willing to work at it can shine.

I think that the author was faced with the task of combining convenient realism and making MC, who would be quite close to the audience. Yes, the sports manga is still full of absurdly talented characters like Saki, but Harukana tries to be "serious" in this regard.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

The ending actually did feel kind of shocking, even if one should be ready to expect the main characters coming up on top. The Thomas sisters are the more experienced, with seniors that clearly highly deserved being stars, and were the ones to train Haruka and Kanata. Certainly made the sort of troubled feeling over Claire and Emily losing to be believable, which added weight when Claire pronounces she would not regret helping the other girls, that they are their rivals but also their friends. The show earned all these mixed feelings, and made it a worthy finale.

I won't say that the show always had 100% of my attention, but at the same time I would not say it quite dragged itself in being terrible in places. Compared to what I thought looking at the promotional art, it was actually pretty good. In terms of sport, it did have lots of growth from early on too, that the finale happened a year after Haruka into the game, of hard training. Only then with Haruka noticing some of the beauty of the ocean she did not have time for, and I think was mentioned as her hope for moving there.

Returned props for small details like sand particles, although I think it was also excessive. Looking back I think they could have done a little more with the height thing that was set up. and I feel a little bad for the 5th member of the team that I think was a little left out from participating, although the finale did make mention that she was great moral support in keeping them together, but I kind of feel like something was missing. In general I think the art is nice, and I am not talking about the bikini thing, nah I was fan of things like how it handled comedy in changing character face models. I am often a fan of that particular choice.

Overall I give a rating of Good (7/10), it is worth seeing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1