• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:00 pm Reply with quote

(The) Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 14 volumes, written by Yū Shimizu, illustrated by Asagi Tōsaka)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Passione

Genres: action, fantasy

Themes: demons, harem, reincarnation, school

Plot Summary: One of the most powerful demon lords ever has been sealed away for a thousand years. When he finally awakens, he is reincarnated as a 10-year- old boy. Now under the care of the girl who released him, the demon lord Leonis must navigate the perils of Excalibur Academy.

Air Date & Platform:
October 2, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

Sounds like something Sentai Filmworks would go out of their way to license.

EDIT: Whadda ya' know?

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:14 am Reply with quote
Not the worst first episode. Parts of the premise are interesting, though there are also plenty of cliches. I was going to say isekai, but I suppose it is not really one since the former demon lord is still in the same world but just many years later? I doubt it has just been 1000 years though. The world has gone from demon lords and heroes to only having one last city/stronghold left and magic is gone while technology is futuristic. The void are sadly of the poor looking CGI variety and we are already getting bits of ecchi.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
Where did you see this smurky? I just checked HiDive and the first episode won't be available until Monday. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter to me since I doubt I'll be following this. I will watch the first just to be sure it's not something I'd be interested in.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:31 am Reply with quote
It seems to be the typical last bastion of humanity, girls with special powers, school setting thing that many other anime also have. I do like the mc being a snarky bastard though.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:25 pm Reply with quote
It's nothing to wax enthusiastic about IMHO, but I kind of dug it. Like Smurkey, I, too, liked having an inside track to the inner grumblings of some power obsessed, tsundere (I think he's a tsundere) hiding behind an innocent guise. There've been lots of anime with these kinds of garden/island cities holding out against forces bent on destroying humanity (mmm...Hundred, Qualidea Code, Fafnir, etc.) But usually, the anime takes the setting for granted and starts with a character (usually male) getting into a battle academy (predominantly female) as part of a life goal. Having a true outsider cluelessly looking at the environment with bewilderment and skepticism makes it feel a little fresher.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The human hero Leonis became the undead Demon Lord Leonis only to become reborn as the human Leonis again.... but he's kind of bitter about it so he didn't bother to help the first girl when he could have so now I imagine SHE's undead as that's what happened to Leonis the first time.... but she doesn't know it yet.

It's still technically an Isekai but it is the better kind, one where fantasy goes to science fiction. He has magic, they have magitech...

Wait a minute, OK, I presume the undead girl is now on the path to becoming an undead Demmon Lord herself but it's a little TOO convenient she has none of the magitech she has to unlearn....

I'm fine with everything here but the title which is shouting "sword" as loudly as possible.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:21 am Reply with quote
I agree that the anime is nothing special concept wise, we kind of know what to expect when looking at the many similar anime that have come before it. That said, it has been a while since we had one of those last bastion/island/school/whatever shows and they are usually pretty fun to watch. Not Hundred though, that one was something else.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:17 pm Reply with quote
So, this week we got some more information on the city/battle island and a few other things. The city seems like a decent place to live (as long as no void start a massacre) with lots of facilities to make use of if you are a student. It is all merit based though and Riselia's squad seems to be near the bottom. It also seems like she is a vampire now, which is a nice twist I suppose. Not every holy sword user seems to be nice, given the introduction of fudge boy and his slave squad.

We also had some backstory for Riselia and Leonis summoned some servants to get information. It is all nothing new, but it is amusing enough.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, ya know, maybe the school should have done something about the pervert dude with an evil holy sword that has enabled him to enslave several girs. It was nice to see him get defeated and for Riselia to get her holy sword, but the dude should have been taken care of way before that.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Given how calm this topic is I doubt that many still watch it, but the show is now over with the latest/final episode. It was a mediocre show through and through, it can be okayish fun, only watch it if you have nothing else to watch. To be honest I probably should have dropped it at some point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1