• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Migi & Dali (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:53 am Reply with quote

Migi & Dali (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 7 volumes, by Nami Sano)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Geek Toys, CompTown

Genres: comedy, mystery, psychological, thriller

Themes: crime, orphans, revenge, surrealism, twins

Plot Summary: The boy's name was Hitori. A stork brought the angel into the lives of a middle-aged couple who were not blessed with children. His parents were kind, his house spacious, and his meals hot. But to protect the happiness he had received, Hitori continued to hide an important secret from his parents.

Air Date & Platform:
October 2, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 13 episodes
----------------------------------

Sorry for the obscure summary and tags, there isn't a whole lot to go off of, and I don't really wanna' spoil anything for myself. Guess I'll just have to watch it and adjust as I go.

Looks like the studio will be doing this and Dead Mount Death Play in the same season.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:25 pm Reply with quote
The air of mystery is enough for me to check this out but I'm like Tony - I don't wanna go digging in case I find out stuff I don't want to find out.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, plus the birdcage and big bird in the picture make me curious.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting a creepfest just based on the cover art, but I wasn't expecting this much of an unnerving creepfest. As I watched one unlikely, odds defying example of two-upmanship after another, I found myself wondering spoiler[Potential spoiler? If there was some kind of fight club scenario going on here ] There's got to be some supernatural/psychological/science fiction twist at any rate, because the amount of cohesion between the two leads is unlikely and unnatural even for identical twins, if that's what they are. The real question is, are they evil, or is there some curve ball coming? I won't speculate too much),but for example, why did they want to go to a place called Origen (Origin)? Are they trying to solve the mystery of their existence? Are their Migi and Dali names suggestive of the amygdala,part of the brain, or am I trying too hard? The creepy music did a great job of enhancing the weird vibe, as did the fact that one was always speaking for the other during conversations with the adopted parents..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I feel like this is a title that could have really benefitted from the double episode debut treatment. Not because I think it's so great (I don't), but because I just don't feel we got enough of what this thing is actually about to make any kind of evaluation. So I will watch more, not so much out of positive inclination but more just to find out... what the hell is going on here? Whether or not I stick around will depend on how that journey unfolds.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:14 am Reply with quote
With most anime you can kind of predict where the overall story is going, but this is one of those unpredictable ones. If you tell me it goes on to have lots of jokes, I could believe it, but the same could be said for it becoming horror like or maybe even a murder mystery given some of the hints in the episode. It does make me interested enough to keep watching, so job succeeded.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:35 am Reply with quote
Is this meant to be a horror, or a comedy?

I can't take lines seriously like their asking for clothes similar to what they have already being responded to with almost fear that he is not Steve Jobs. It is like most of the horror stuff is undercut with something so ridiculous that it is actually funny, while everything maybe a bit funny is undercut by this unnerving.

It is so weird, that it makes me think of that Junji Ito anime, but rather than some piece of body horror, it was something ridiculous and overcomplicated. They said they were 13, but were reading a ridiculous child picture book?

Also, I know that the old couple probably won't stick around, but that lady is a mood.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:54 am Reply with quote
Comedy and horror can work hand in hand really well. I remember liking Mieruko-chan because it switched between funny moments and horror pretty well, still kind of hoping for a season two of that one.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:34 am Reply with quote
I rather like this one. It's weird, absurd, funny, kind of eerie, and I am very curious to see how this unfolds. Seeing how it's based on the manga by the creator of Sakamoto Kun (RIP), I am down for something weird and distinct.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
why did they want to go to a place called Origen (Origin)? Are they trying to solve the mystery of their existence? Are their Migi and Dali names suggestive of the amygdala,part of the brain, or am I trying too hard?

Maybe trying too hard? Very Happy Migi = right and Dali (hidari) = left. Hitori = one person. I believe Origen is likely the place where we saw the woman dying in the opening scene, holding the button/medalion the twins have, so I think this is a revenge plot. And the adoptive parents are just weird enough that I suspect we won't feel sorry for them when the twins do whatever they've set out to do. From the first moment I saw the woman, she struck me as a JoJo villain. The whole thing gives me an unsettled JoJo vibe, actually.

I loved all the "find the hidden twin" games in nearly every scene. The dinner table acrobatics was a hoot.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks Smile. I thought it unlikely. I just can't get over the suspicion that a lot of what's going on might be some kind of mental hallucination because it just seems so bizarre that the twins have to be in the same location when it would be so much easier and make so much more sense for one of them to just take turns and have one of them hide in the room or the woods or whatever. That, and how unlikely it is that they wouldn't get caught with some of the stunts they're pulling. Or the way the one hiding speaks for the other. But it's also true that it might be more fairy tale like or allegorical, and I should just chuck realistic quibbles out the window.

And yeah, the adoptive parents seem sketchy to me too. A lot of the moments that could seem cute or humorous just seem unnerving. Like when the mom cursed. That could have been a heh, but it came across as an uhm....
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 02

Some startling revelations in this episode. The adoptive parents aren't what they seem and the twins actually have an ulterior motive. But I feel like, even with these reveals, the show will just continue to get weirder and quirkier and completely throw us off. Maybe there are other orphans who will interfere with twins' plan? Maybe there are other adults who will help the parents? Or maybe the parents aren't even the real culprits, and it's a case of them having their places taken by even worse people? All we need is a little gothic aesthetics, and it'll be like we're watching a Tim Burton anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Maybe there are other orphans who will interfere with twins' plan?

Well, the hand that grabs the pie in the OP doesn't seem to be either Migi or Dali's. It sneaks in too quickly from below the second they exit the frame.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:17 am Reply with quote
I suppose they really could up the weird factor by having some of the other kids also be little weirdos.

Also, was the humour in the second episode a lot of the twins also being big idiots? Not understanding the underwear was one thing, but seeing the secret photo as suspicious felt like a big leap in their logic. They just might have at one point been big partiers or liked to go dance. It made their later choice of colourful clothes for the party seem obvious. But I don't know why the twins forced them into black.

Also, the bike reveal felt incredibly obvious with what was said in the shed, but the twins overreaction just making me second guess.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:30 am Reply with quote
I think the black clothes were to make them easier to burn - absorbs heat better and is easier to see where you've focused the light.

While they seem super clever, they were apparently raised in the woods until their mother was murdered, and then straight to the orphanarium, so it's not surprising that they have little understanding of the outside world.

At the same time, I don't think we're meant to take everything seriously. There are too many things that don't make sense, like her not recognizing straight gin isn't water, or how the one twin got on and off the chandelier without anyone seeing him. And let's not even think about those panties. Embarassed So yeah, I'm gonna take MST3K's advice and really just relax and enjoy the very weird ride that seems to be in progress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3