• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heroic Age.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Heroic Age (TV)

Well I just saw the first episode of Heroic age and I thought it was pretty cool for the first episode, probably because it had alot of action in it. I like the story of it and how it is set in space (I love shows about space, or really any futuristic type shows). I really like the characters so far and it looks pretty good as far as animation is concerned. I especially like the scenes in space, they look pretty darn cool. Razz It reminds me of the Master of Orion game for the computer with all the alien races warring with eachother...well to me at least. Anyways I want to know whos watching and what your thoughts are on it. I am looking foward to more episodes personally. I did notice though that the character designs are like Gundam Seed so the characters all look a bit alike...as far as the humans are concerned.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The character designs (at least the faces, anyway) look like Gundam SEED because it's the same character designer on both series.

Verdict's still out on this one for me. The CG effects are impressive, but it's hard to tell yet what balance of epic, action, and comedy they're shooting for here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I posted my thoughts over on another forum about the first episode;

HellKorn wrote:
I went in expecting some kind of epic sci-fi anime mixed with a few mystical elements that comes together to create a wondrous universe of characters and an intriguing plot. Just going be the first episode, I have yet to really be disappointed.

The story so far has just lent itself to exposition, which is perfectly fine with me. With just servicing us to explaining the workings of the plot and setting up a few, there isn't much to go on about. I do like the "cool references for the sake of being cool and showing pseudo-intelligence" that we have of Greek mythology, and the whole premise lends itself even further for the epic adventure that it's about to embark on. What is basically four different races -- the Silver, Bronze, Heroic, and Iron, respectively -- vying for power in the midst of space with all sorts of neat-o travel bits and ships along with mecha to kick the crap out of each puts up a great deal of potential if written well. After that, we're shown the Argonaut heading towards Oron to seek out their "savior." Not much else has been revealed, but again, no complaints from me.

The three main cast members, or at least from the apparent protagonists' side, are displayed well. Age has the kind of innocent appeal to him (for some reason I found the "mom" bit to be cute; don't ask how my mind works) while also having the "dark, destructive side" to compliment it. Iolaus should turn out to be the "good guy asshole" of the group, and for some reason I've never disliked that archetype, so here's hoping that his character is handled decently. Finally, Deaneira is the centerpiece in all, which could set up some sort of inevitable love triangle. Ah, the the teen angst that shall come forth...! But, getting back to her on a more serious note, I found her persona interesting since it would be easy to write her off as the princess who can put one foot in front of the other without guidance or any sort of aid, but she's respectably strong-willed and independent. I easily approve.

Art isn't anything "WOW~!" worthy... however, what I guess can only be called the Last Nodos looks pretty damn cool. In relation to that, the animation is amazing. Not Gainax and Production I.G. level, or even Sunrise and BONES quality, but all the same just excellent. I really pray that this doesn't turn out to be "first episode has too much of the budget poured in, while the rest of the series varies from good to the bad to the ugly." To be fair, I don't get that impression since there wasn't anything that seemed to be too superfluous in that regard, and as this isn't a Gonzo production, the greater inclusion of 3-D does not indicate something poor and inconsistent (which is the majority of Gonzo anime).

Music kicks ass, plain and simple. The opening theme didn't air with the first episode, but I enjoyed the ending theme. It has the peaceful atmosphere that always appeals to me. The soundtrack sets the right mood and has the backing for the epic story that is being told (heh, I love that word, "epic").

Heroic Age caught my attention early on and didn't let me down with the first episode. Leaving on an evil cliff-hanger guarantees me coming back for more, and frankly I can't wait.

Not as good as Moonlight Mile has turned out to be if just going by their first episodes (seen the second episode of Moonlight Mile and really enjoyed that one as well), and I doubt that it will turn out as spectacular as Guardian of the Sacred Spirit (which Geneon USA has pre-licensed), but like I said above, Heroic Age has that sort of over-the-top appeal mixed in with the grand story that's been lacking a bit in past seasons. I hope that it doesn't turn out to disappoint, and I'm aiming that it doesn't.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Verdict's still out on this one for me.

Sorry but for me the foreman has delievery his verdict and it's all over. I don't mind the near identical look as from Gundam Seed, but damn I couldn't care at all for anything happening in the story....with the Irons, Gold, Hero, or the Silvers. I probably need to wait and come back and try to be a little bit more fair to this show, but for now I am done, I've already got enough on my plate currently....and I've got lots of manga and novels to read.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode but my mind's not made up on this one yet. It looked pretty good and was entertaining, but from what we've learned of the plot, I'm not sure if it sounds that interesting. It barely made an impression on me except that it somehow made me excited for Toward the Terra/ Terra e... Confused I'll have to see more before I'm ready to make my decision.
Facade19

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I am certainly glad now that there is a thread dedicated to Heroic Age.
I was really looking forward to this show and after the first episode I am quite stunned as how good it is. The animation IMO is good and yes indeed the character design reminds of Gundam Seed (which is not a bad thing). The story so far is very interesting, spoiler[with the various tribes.] The fighting scenes were quite good and if anything I cannot wait to see where the plot will take us all.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
The character designs were forgivable for me, I didn't find them to be as similar to Seed as, say, Fafner was. I enjoyed the first episode instantly, but I do want some more background info from the story. Eiji/Age seems like he'll be a likeable lead character which is nice, there are enough angsty teen heroes in anime.

This is a great season for mecha fans!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I should also say that I don't think the character designs looking like Gundam Seeds is a bad thing, I just like a bit more variation in the faces. Yeah the last Nodos did look pretty damn cool I have to say...when it poped up I was like "hell yeah", his attacks were also cool...very glad it wasn't a big gun or some sort of sword since this sets it apart from the other mechs. After all what drew me in was the fights, and I really like to see Nodos duke it out. Very Happy

I really like what we have seen of the other alien ships and there technology, the spoiler[insect race known as the Bronze] was pretty cool with their planet like ships. The humans (iron tribe) ships look pretty cool, well it was more the inside that caught my eye. The Princesses powers are pretty cool to, I mean I like the whole astrolprojection ability.

I do hope that this series doesn't disappoint in later episodes, though like hellkorn said I don't they did any spectacular animation in the first episode to suggest they poured a large portion of their budget into the first episode. I certainly am going to watch the next episode.

Yeah Deltakiral I have had that happen before, if I am just watching too many diffrent series I usally have to put a hold on them or I will end up hating the series because I was unable to get into it, it is usally the fansubs that get put on hold since those can be watched later...and because I didn't pay $20 for them. Wink

I have yet to check out Moonlight Mile, but I am looking foward to it to.

Facade19 wrote:
The fighting scenes were quite good and if anything I cannot wait to see where the plot will take us all.

My thoughts exactly.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Well it's easy to identify which show the character designer for Gundam SEED worked on, like Miyazaki it's very noticable.

I just watched it and thought it was a very good first episode, I like the way the AGE thing is playing out for different sections of the universe and I really like the mech designs for the common mechs in this. The Dodoris? or whatever at the end, the thing the boy changed into reminded me of the demon from Utawarerumono and I thought the animation in this was pretty cool. Can't wait for 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode last night. I didn't particularly like the character designs, since they looked too similar to Gundam SEED (is it just me, or did Age really look a lot like Wrath from Fullmetal Alchemist?). The rest of the series looked pretty cool, but I don't think I'll be continuing this series, at least not for a while. It just didn't interest me. The only thing I particularly liked was the humor regarding Age's "mother."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Saw the second episode an hour ago and I have to say it has stayed relativly enjoyable. It seems that the ace pilot is a bit jealous of Age, but understands Age's importance. The battles were pretty cool, heh Nodos reminds me of a monster from Yugiho. Razz

There was one thing that confused me a bit, Age said at the begining of the episode that the spoiler[Golden tribe would retore the deserted planet he had been living on as long as the tribes could get along.] But then when the princess was spoiler[reciting the 12 commandments they sounded basically like commands for conquest of the other tribes.] I mean it just looks like the Humans are the evil ones in all of this, spoiler[taking the other homeworlds of the other tribes to be at the disposal of the humans is wrong.] No wonder there is a war...Hmm now thinking back were the spoiler[12 commandments given to them by] the Golden tribe...I thought they said that theyspoiler[ made a few up for themselves]...but I cant remember. Any ways the spoiler[contracts just seem way too unfair, humans ruling the universe. ]I may be thinking about this prematurly but I just don't like the fact that spoiler[humans are destined to rule over] other sentient life forms. That aside I liked this episode and as the series so far...it is looking good. Wink Very Happy
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Saw the second episode an hour ago and I have to say it has stayed relativly enjoyable. It seems that the ace pilot is a bit jealous of Age, but understands Age's importance. The battles were pretty cool, heh Nodos reminds me of a monster from Yugiho. Razz

There was one thing that confused me a bit, Age said at the begining of the episode that the spoiler[Golden tribe would retore the deserted planet he had been living on as long as the tribes could get along.] But then when the princess was spoiler[reciting the 12 commandments they sounded basically like commands for conquest of the other tribes.] I mean it just looks like the Humans are the evil ones in all of this, spoiler[taking the other homeworlds of the other tribes to be at the disposal of the humans is wrong.] No wonder there is a war...Hmm now thinking back were the spoiler[12 commandments given to them by] the Golden tribe...I thought they said that theyspoiler[ made a few up for themselves]...but I can't remember. Any ways the spoiler[contracts just seem way too unfair, humans ruling the universe. ]I may be thinking about this prematurly but I just don't like the fact that spoiler[humans are destined to rule over] other sentient life forms. That aside I liked this episode and as the series so far...it is looking good. Wink Very Happy

Just wondering...have you read the Bible? Particularly the Old Testament? There are some noticeable parallels between this and that. (I've only read this thread, not watched the show so I don't know if they pan out in the series but from just reading this...)
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
omar235 wrote:

There was one thing that confused me a bit, Age said at the begining of the episode that the spoiler[Golden tribe would retore the deserted planet he had been living on as long as the tribes could get along.] But then when the princess was spoiler[reciting the 12 commandments they sounded basically like commands for conquest of the other tribes.] I mean it just looks like the Humans are the evil ones in all of this, spoiler[taking the other homeworlds of the other tribes to be at the disposal of the humans is wrong.] No wonder there is a war...Hmm now thinking back were the spoiler[12 commandments given to them by] the Golden tribe...I thought they said that theyspoiler[ made a few up for themselves]...but I can't remember. Any ways the spoiler[contracts just seem way too unfair, humans ruling the universe. ]I may be thinking about this prematurly but I just don't like the fact that spoiler[humans are destined to rule over] other sentient life forms. That aside I liked this episode and as the series so far...it is looking good. Wink Very Happy

Just wondering...have you read the Bible? Particularly the Old Testament? There are some noticeable parallels between this and that. (I've only read this thread, not watched the show so I don't know if they pan out in the series but from just reading this...)

Yes I know the parallels, the 12 commandments-the 10 commandments, I haven't read the whole bible just certain, parts mostly the ones we went over in CCD. Wink
Facade19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow I would have not assumed the story to be quite this deep and especially just after two episodes. Quite a few themes that are being explored and presented. For now I shall leave my ideas out until a few more episodes have passed (want to see more before building up on them).
I must say that Heroic Age is just something different.
Words would fail me to describe just what that it is I am conceiving.
I cannot wait till the next episode.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
*Grumble, grumble, grumble* I can only find one release of episode 2 and it was an intentionally corrupted release because the fansub group doesn't like the show and called it "Moronic Age" on their little site. They also said nothing good has come out of this season though I could name about a dozen shows that I plan on sticking with this season. But it's not their opinions that bother me, it's that they wasted my time and others with an unwatchable sub just because they're too spoiled by their free anime.

Hopefully I can the join those of you that have seen it with a better copy tomorrow...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2