• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Maker 2 Regeneration Game Delayed on PS4/PS5 to August 8 to Alter Content

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Sony can exercise their freedom in running their platform the way they want, but censorship over harmless things like this is just dumb and loses themselves sales

Glad PC and Nintendo exist with sensible policies
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:17 am Reply with quote
I understand removing the option to marry the father, that's just creepy, but what's wrong with marrying the butler?
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:55 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I understand removing the option to marry the father, that's just creepy, but what's wrong with marrying the butler?

Cube is just another father figure to the princess like the player (father) is so I assume the same reasoning.

Unfortunate censorship, but I doubt many people were going to get the PlayStation version anyway.
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:09 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The problem with this is censorship really is a slippery slope. While it's content that you may feel uncomfortable with, it's also content that you don't have to consume. Sony really has gotten out of hand with their censorship lately, and this is just another example of it
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:13 am Reply with quote
A big part of what makes the game memorable and quirky is how off-the-rails things can wind up getting, but it never steers into territory of being particularly graphic or offensive. If that's all they are removing, there's a couple scenes and monster encounters that I recall, that are almost-certainly gonna have steam clouds and shadows covering stuff up (though to be fair, I think the PC release of the older version of the game might do that already). Is interesting that Sony is still pushing for such standards while some of the major JP game companies are now dropping their Playstation exclusivity.

My largest concern at the moment is translation - the "official PC" releases of a number of the Princess Maker games unfortunately seem like they were machine-translated and I'm not aware if they were ever fixed. If PM2 Regeneration is able to make it to PC and is actually readable, I assume modders should hopefully be able to fix the rest.
crh1985

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:04 am Reply with quote
Sad to see, was not planning to buy anyway as i played the original games years ago.

I bet the next thing we will hear is Steam is banning the game and it will only be on (X) PC platform for purchase, then Nintendo will drop the game quietly, probably from complaint for people because they will not force them to censor the game

It is sad to see the game industry fall like this in just a few years, and as it is going i think there will be another game crash in the next 10 years or so because people are not buying new game and playing older game. If you look more live streamer are playing and talking about older games no live service, no weekly/monthly spending on the game, and you own the physical copy they can’t say “online only” then “servers offline permanently” so you can’t play the game.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:16 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
The problem with this is censorship really is a slippery slope. While it's content that you may feel uncomfortable with
Avec ou Nous says it is not her father, in which case I don't feel it's creepy. But if it was, then it wouldn't be that it, makes me uncomfortable. I don't object to media that makes me feel that way. I just think incest, unless there is a narrative reason, not just fetish material, is creepy.
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Is interesting that Sony is still pushing for such standards while some of the major JP game companies are now dropping their Playstation exclusivity.
You have to keep in mind, that the Japanese company SCE, that acquired a lot of exclusive JP games and catered to Japan and the West, no longer exists. The American company, SIE, is the company behind the PlayStation since 2016. That company is focused on the western market, maybe South East Asia also, and is very apathetic to the Japanese market. They don't even want their own games to be exclusive, never mind niche JP games.
SpookyDollhouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:27 am Reply with quote
As a 30-something-year-old gay man, all this puritanical content scrubbing stuff these days is so stupid. It's a video game. Literally end-of. Maybe it's supposed to be creepy and weird? Oy vey!
King Chicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:42 am Reply with quote
crh1985 wrote:
I bet the next thing we will hear is Steam is banning the game and it will only be on (X) PC platform for purchase, then Nintendo will drop the game quietly, probably from complaint for people because they will not force them to censor the game

Princess Maker 2 Refine has been on Steam since 2016. Regeneration is just another remaster of the game with new animation scenes. And if you want to get technical it's already censored from the Refine version judging by the additional clothing they added to certain characters in the trailer. And the Refine version itself was also censored from past releases from what I recall by removing visible nipples. No idea if the official Steam version did any additional stuff or differs from the Japanese version or other releases.

Censorship sucks but if people really care about it then play the originals since remakes of games always inevitable censor and remove some stuff either due to game ratings changing over time (especially in regards to nudity in games pre-CERO ratings existing) or political pressure from the global market. Remasters and remakes are generally inferior ways to experience games in all my years of seeing them come out. Some are better and worse than others but there's never really replacing the original.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:57 am Reply with quote
SpookyDollhouse wrote:
It's a video game. Literally end-of. Maybe it's supposed to be creepy and weird? Oy vey!

Or maybe it’s not and some of this stuff is seen by certain people as being normal and inoffensive. Eventhough most people wouldn’t be on the same page with this.

MarthKoopa wrote:
Sony can exercise their freedom in running their platform the way they want, but censorship over harmless things like this is just dumb and loses themselves sales

Trust me these alleged lost sales are not going to be as great as you think especially with regards to this specific content being edited.

MarthKoopa wrote:
Glad PC and Nintendo exist with sensible policies

Lol Steam & Gog along with Nintendo are not above having games altered that are also sold on their platforms.

crh1985 wrote:
It is sad to see the game industry fall like this in just a few years, and as it is going i think there will be another game crash in the next 10 years or so because people are not buying new game and playing older game.

If this supposed crash happens (which people have been calling for a decade and a half). It won’t be for this reason. Nor because of companies like Sony (& others) doing something they’ve been doing since the 1980’s.

LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Is interesting that Sony is still pushing for such standards while some of the major JP game companies are now dropping their Playstation exclusivity.

They’re doing that but not because of their games being edited. Not to mention it’s not their first rodeo considering what happened around the time the PS3 dropped.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:48 am Reply with quote
Really don't care for censorship in any form.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Why port a wife raising game & then erase the wife raising storylines? Do the current rights holders even know who this game is for?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:03 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Why port a wife raising game & then erase the wife raising storylines? Do the current rights holders even know who this game is for?

You could probably ask that question with most censorship cases. Usually it's so they can try to target a new audience so they can still make money off something even if they personally disapprove of the work in question. In PlayStation's case and what they usually censor it's probably whatever rules or guidelines the guys in California determine to be acceptable to associate with the PlayStation brand.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Genuinely baffled about removing the option to marry Cube. He's very much meant to be around the same age as the daughter (in demon years at least) and he is by far the most popular love interest.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:20 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:

You can know who the audience for this is for while still reconciling the elephant in the room of essentially grooming a character that starts off underage for marriage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2