• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spy×Family Anime Gets 3rd Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glordit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:43 am Reply with quote
No way!! /s
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:28 am Reply with quote
Funny thing is, I just bought an Anya figure yesterday! Anyhoo, I'm excited for this!
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:41 am Reply with quote
I can check the "SpyxFamily S3 announcement in spring" entry on my mental list.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:09 am Reply with quote
As expected I guess. There's enough manga chapters for more seasons.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:47 am Reply with quote
One of the least surprising "next season" announcements of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:44 am Reply with quote
And to the surprise of no one. Deciding to categorize the first 2 cours from 2022 as the first and second parts of season 1 as opposed to seasons 1 and 2 is going to keep bugging me.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:54 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
And to the surprise of no one. Deciding to categorize the first 2 cours from 2022 as the first and second parts of season 1 as opposed to seasons 1 and 2 is going to keep bugging me.

But...it really was season 1 just split into 2 parts,why would they name it as season 2?
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Waku waku Very Happy
anime_layer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:

A cours is just a block of programming that's a quarter of a year long. A season is a portion of an anime series that's produced as a whole.

A season can be shorter than a cours, span multiple cours, and take any number of breaks in-between. If a season is split-cours, it means the money for the episodes was raised in one round and the episodes were likely also all produced together. It then just happens that they couldn't find a multi-cours broadcast slot or the schedule is so that they didn't have enough lead time for consecutive cours, so the season takes a break between cours.

It's not obvious from the outside what constitutes a season, it's up to how the production of the anime was structured financially and legally.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Only surprise is it wasn't announced sooner
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:56 pm Reply with quote
As someone who doesn't follow Spy x Family, how much content is there to adapt? I believe there are already more than 10 volumes of manga in Japanese, right?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:20 pm Reply with quote
It was probably inevitable, but still nice to see.

spoiler[Looking forward to Loid's backstory and the introduction of Damian's mother.]
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:26 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
As someone who doesn't follow Spy x Family, how much content is there to adapt? I believe there are already more than 10 volumes of manga in Japanese, right?

There are curently 99 Chapters, the 1st season (25 eps) ends at chapter 38, the 2nd season (12 eps) ends at chapter 58, so the pace is roughtly the same. Spy x Family's anime is a nearly perfect adaptation of the manga with some added scenes so if this new season keep the same pace then there is already enough content for an eventual split 2 cours 3rd season, however, considering the timing i'm more inclined to think that it will be a single cour and thus the potential S4 will then have at least enough content for 2 cours and that's without considering that the manga is still ongoing, so we should expect Spy x Family animes for a few more years.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:43 pm Reply with quote
anime_layer wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

A cours is just a block of programming that's a quarter of a year long. A season is a portion of an anime series that's produced as a whole.

A season can be shorter than a cours, span multiple cours, and take any number of breaks in-between. If a season is split-cours, it means the money for the episodes was raised in one round and the episodes were likely also all produced together. It then just happens that they couldn't find a multi-cours broadcast slot or the schedule is so that they didn't have enough lead time for consecutive cours, so the season takes a break between cours.

It's not obvious from the outside what constitutes a season, it's up to how the production of the anime was structured financially and legally.

I know what a cour is and how some seasons are spilt because of different circumstances. I should have elaborated that this next entry of Spy x Family will be called season 3, but it would have been, in my opinion, better to call it season 4 because it will be the fourth cour.
joac101

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the point of this as season 2 was already called " season 2". Having a 3-6month break between cours is perfectly fine to label them both as 1 season, it's been a thing for over a decade at this point.

Angel M Cazares wrote:
anime_layer wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

I know what a cour is and how some seasons are spilt because of different circumstances. I should have elaborated that this next entry of Spy x Family will be called season 3, but it would have been, in my opinion, better to call it season 4 because it will be the fourth cour.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1