• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - How The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio Captures the Reality of Gig Work

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:01 pm Reply with quote
This was my pick at the start of this season for a show coming in with zero hype that had the potential to punch above its weight. It hasn't always been perfect (well like, that one particular scene was very far from perfect), but it's pretty much been everything I wanted it to be: sort of like Girlish Number, but with more of a focus on the characters' interpersonal relationships. (And big ups to Steve for bringing up Girlish Number, any article that gives that underrated gem some love and attention is a good article.)

Also, that the two leads here are both portrayed by members of Hello Happy World adds an extra layer of hilarity and/or horror for denizens of the Bang Dream fandom. Almost makes you wonder if they did that on purpose... but surely they wouldn't go THAT meta with it, right?
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:54 pm Reply with quote
It's a good article, but I can't help but feel we should have waited for the next episode tomorrow. I don't want to give spoilers, but the last scene of episode 3 should have made pretty cleat what episode 4 is going to be about, and that's something we can't avoid mentioning when discussing how the idol industry really works.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Very much enjoying both this and Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night which both have similar themes.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:29 pm Reply with quote
One could argue that sometimes fanservice doesn't need to justify itself!
MadMusketeer

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:41 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Did you... Did you read the article? The problem, as the article described it, is that the scene undermines the show's message and themes (to the level of undercutting the ideas discussed in the next scene).
Also, fanservice needs to justify itself just as much as any other creative decision on the basis of thematic coherence, and also just, like, pacing? A pointless fanservice scene can ruin the pacing (not saying this happens here) just as much as pointless action in a Marvel movie or unnecessary dialogue scenes.
I'm not going to bother arguing that fanservice is negative in itself in shows not built around it, although it does tend to irritate me personally, and I think other creative decisions are more interesting. Some people like it, it turns other people away, I'm probably in the second camp but I don't care that much: it's fine. But I do find spectacle for its own sake incredibly boring, be it action or fanservice.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:12 pm Reply with quote
MadMusketeer wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Did you... Did you read the article? The problem, as the article described it, is that the scene undermines the show's message and themes (to the level of undercutting the ideas discussed in the next scene).
Also, fanservice needs to justify itself just as much as any other creative decision on the basis of thematic coherence, and also just, like, pacing? A pointless fanservice scene can ruin the pacing (not saying this happens here) just as much as pointless action in a Marvel movie or unnecessary dialogue scenes.
I'm not going to bother arguing that fanservice is negative in itself in shows not built around it, although it does tend to irritate me personally, and I think other creative decisions are more interesting. Some people like it, it turns other people away, I'm probably in the second camp but I don't care that much: it's fine. But I do find spectacle for its own sake incredibly boring, be it action or fanservice.

I personally view it as more of a cultural thing in regards to how the Japanese feel about bathing, physical intimacy, and relationships. Of course maybe they were also being self-ware in some regards (I feel like Oshi No Ko did something similar in reverse).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1