• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girlfriend, Girlfriend (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 10

At this point, it feels pretty ridiculous for him to continue to give chances to a girl who previously drugged him, and now tied him up and sexually assaulted him.

Also, I really groaned at the whole deserted island thing, because it really feels like an ancient harem trope that I was already sick of, before this series really leaned into the harem aspect (4 girls to one single boy).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:20 pm Reply with quote
And thus ends the second season. Shino has joined the idiot team and they are now well on their way to three timing, which will surprise absolutely nobody. The second season is pretty much more of the first: harem tropes, dumb jokes, the girls being cute and Naoya being way too intense and serious.

On a last note, while I would like to cheer for every girl in the show, one who uses drugs to kidnap her crush several times is on my shitlist. Some may like her, but Rika is one you would want to avoid.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:44 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

I think that I would have been much more confident in the show if it was more clear that he would turn down Shino as soon as she would have made a confession to him. They even pretty much admitted to the theory of her possibly having a crush on Saki because this is what Saki thought, another addition to Saki is indeed attracted to girls with I think she looked pretty devastated.

But then it feels like the show decided to have its cake and eat it too, with Shino pretty much forcing a place into the relationship anyway, by just deciding that if he has room after making the Saki and Nagisa happy then that means that energy is for her. We got Shino pretty much pressuring Saki, and then an array of bargaining for her value of studying and helping the relationships. And it feels like the exact thing I was scared of.

I think I said in my previous post, but I never saw for the first season as a harem, I saw it as a romance comedy anime that happened to have a polygynous relationship. It explicitly rejected the whole harem thing by just kept saying no to Rika making herself a part of a harem to Naoya. It might not have always had the right language, because it kept using the "two-timing" line, but I think it stayed pretty straight on the intimate relationship Naoya had to Saki and Nagisa, and them with each other. So it feels weird that on paper it is still kind of keeping to them the main 3, but there is still much harem nonsense in this second season that I honestly think that it took away from its premise.

Perhaps there was a way the polygamous relationship could have expanded and felt the same, but the way it was done I think was wrong, what with Rika being super toxic and pretty much being given a step in. A pity because her sister a nice addition in balancing her character out, but it felt like she pretty much disappeared after the whole drugging thing. The more I think about it, I think it probably would have only worked with Shino if there was that equal chemistry with Saki and Nagisa (even non-romantic chemistry), but she was mostly just a lot of lucky pervert scenarios with Naoya.

Well, I am disappointed in comparison to my thoughts on the first season, so my rating will be So-so (5/10), maybe no worse than a lot of harem anime, but I could feel my attention be lost coming into the season. There was another anime this season that had a thematically ever expanding harem, which did it much better (100 Girlfriends).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2